Working Motherhood and Blogging: The Balance

Like many working moms, I often feel there is never ever enough time in a day. It feels like our days are go-go-go from the moment we wake up to the moment we go to bed. There always seems to be something there isn’t enough time for.

Blogging and Working Motherhood

Our days start early around here. As a household with two full-time working parents, we’re up by 6:10 every day, and out of the house by 7:15. We’re lucky enough to be able to commute together, but it’s a long commute – to daycare, then to our respective offices. After a long workday, we battle traffic to repeat the commute in reverse. We start dinner the moment we get home, spend a little family time together, then start the bedtime routine. Once Abbie’s in bed, I prep for the next day so we can start it all over again. It’s a long day, and one that leaves me little time for myself, to be quite honest.

Blogging and being a working mom is a hard balance. There's never enough time, but here are three tips that help keep the balance!

At the same time, it’s important to me to keep up with this blog of mine, so I try to carve out bits of time for myself. Writing has always been a part of my life, and being here helps me keep that alive. So how do I find time to blog while working full-time?

Use weekends to prepare.

I do a lot of preparation ahead of time. On weekends, I meal plan and grocery shop for the week. I also try to cut up any fruits and veggies we will need during the week. Weekends are also for laundry, cleaning, and any other errands we need done. In addition to all the household prep work, I use the weekends to do blog prep work. I take most of my photos on weekends and do a lot of writing, which allows me to pre-schedule my posts for the week. I find I’m much more relaxed if I take the time to prepare on the weekends so my weeks aren’t so hectic.

Prioritize.

Even with all that weekend prep, there are weeks that it doesn’t all get done. Those are the weeks that I have to make choices that are hard, but I keep it simple – my family always comes first. As much as I’d like to post every day, it just isn’t always possible. I used to stress aobut it. I used to try to put up a small post just to have something up, but I’ve come to realize that it’s better to just take the day off than to post just to post. So if you don’t see me for a few days? I’m just prioritizing, and it’s one of the ways I stay sane.

Utilize help.

This is one I’m terrible at in my own home but am always trying to improve on. I’m always forgetting to ask Chris for help, and putting entirely too much pressure on myself. The thing is, on the days I ask for help, everything seems to go much more smoothly, and I need to remember that. As far as for blogging, this means finding tools that work for me – scheduling tools in particular. If I’m able to schedule sharing ahead of time, I’m much more able to concentrate on anything that comes up during the week that needs my immediate attention.

That said, even with all this in place, sometimes the balance completely falls apart… and you know what? That’s okay. If I miss a day, that’s okay. If I’m late cleaning my bathrooms or we have pizza for dinner one night? That’s okay. As long as my family is taken care of, I can handle anything.

Those are my three top tips – if you work full-time and blog, how do you balance it all?

This post is part of a blog hop from Blogs & Business. Check out some of the other awesome blogs participating:

The Art of BetterWomen Winning Online | Mommy My Way | xo -Ava | Kori at Home | Ma Bell Vie | Stellar Mama The Jessie K | Make & Do Crew | This Kenyan Traveler | Blue Eyed Babies | HebrewDawn | Leah With Love | Fighting for Fitness | Tot Tot Goose | Nurture Her Nature | Blogihealth | A Cotton Kandi Life | The Bipolar Mama | Simple Acres | Dawn P Darnell | A Kreative Whim | Scarlett Ballantyne | My Unfiltered Chaos | The Big Red Patch House | The Mother Blog | Diary of a New Mommy

Jess
Jess

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Facebook

17 Comments

1. Kim
    February 15, 2016 / 8:15 am

I think that’s the case for many working moms, no time for ourselves. But we wouldn’t really want it any other way.

• Jess
      Author
      March 10, 2016 / 10:12 pm

So true. I would miss working if I stayed home!

2. February 15, 2016 / 11:26 am

I’m totally with you on this! Weekends are key for me to keep up with blogging!

• Jess
      Author
      March 10, 2016 / 10:12 pm

If only they were a day longer, right?!?

3. February 15, 2016 / 2:25 pm

I’m a single working mother so I understand. My mother is a tremendous help to me. She even takes my son to daycare every morning since I have a 45 minute commute to work. My weekends are essential for pulling off the week. I also shop, clean, and do laundry. Also, there are things that need done like oil changes (which I hate having to get done even though all I do is sit there). I use any breaks at work to make phone calls or work on a blog post.
    Ashley Ponder recently posted…V-Day 2016 is in the BooksMy Profile

• Jess
      Author
      March 10, 2016 / 10:13 pm

That’s so great that your mom is able to help you out so much! I do not know how single parents do it all – you guys are amazing for finding ways to make it all work.

4. February 15, 2016 / 3:20 pm

These are great tips!! I totally hear you on finding balance – it’s hard!! And I am a total perfectionist so it frustrates me when I can’t do it all. šŸ™‚ You’re doing great mama! And cute Stitch Fix items in that pic!!! HAHA!

• Jess
      Author
      March 10, 2016 / 10:14 pm

Hahaha All STITCH FIX ALL THE TIME around here….

5. February 16, 2016 / 12:02 am

Finding balance is SO hard! I used to freak out about the blog posting too but now I just go with the flow. If I feel like watching tv instead of posting, I do it. Hence no posts since Thursday šŸ™‚ I was able to schedule 2 already for this week and I have the other 2 started so I feel good about it. The week goes so much better when I can get a lot done on the weekends, though I do feel bad that what should be family time is spent cleaning, laundry-ing, and grocery shopping.
    Elizabeth recently posted…The Picture Perfect Project [February]My Profile

• Jess
      Author
      March 10, 2016 / 10:15 pm

Haha, pretty much everything you said! I just try to do what I can and forget the rest. I’m only one person!

6. February 16, 2016 / 11:55 am

I preschedule as much as possible. I will say the ability to share photos straight from phone is the best thing ever. It has made things easier. My house is my last concern. My kid – my welling being – then house.

• Jess
      Author
      March 10, 2016 / 10:15 pm

Definitely agree… although I wouldn’t be mad if a magic spell could clean my house for me….

7. February 16, 2016 / 3:36 pm

Yes yes yes! Love all these tips and agree with everything. I’m a big believe (and getting much better) at asking for help. In addition to our nanny helping out around the house, we hired a cleaning service, which has greatly reduced my stress level. Plus, we do lots of pre-made meals, crock pot meals, frozen Trader Joe’s meals or even cans of soup if necessary. Dinner is always chaos, but I think it’s like that for everyone.
    Sara McCarty recently posted…My Little HeartsMy Profile

• Jess
      Author
      March 10, 2016 / 10:16 pm

Definitely – dinner is such a rush to get in at the end of the day. One day I’ll spend the money on a cleaning service… I just can’t bring myself to do it yet. One day.

8. February 18, 2016 / 12:57 pm

You know what’s funny- I’m a work from home part-time Mama, and I have been a SAHM for the last 2 years… yet most of the time I feel like I would have more time for myself if I went back to my “real” outside the home job. Funny how we all have such different viewpoints but feel, essentially, the same way. I think the one thing that’s clear is that we all want to be the best mom for our kids and never feel like we can give it everything it need! This mom gig is tough stuff. I would love for you to link up with us at 100 Happy Days! http://www.akreativewhim.com/100-happy-days-18

• Jess
      Author
      March 10, 2016 / 10:18 pm

It really is interesting how we share so many of the same feelings! Honestly, I do think I do have a bit more “me” time working outside the home… if I’m having a stressful day, I can get away from my desk with a quick walk around the office pretty easily. Working from home doesn’t always give that option. I think we’re all just doing the best we can!

shares