Spring is officially here, and with it comes the annual chore of spring cleaning.
I’m going to be honest here – cleaning is not my strong suit, and never has been. I continue to wish I would wake up one day with a magical cleaning fairy that would just do it all for me. Since that hasn’t happened yet, I’m teaming up with a few of my favorite ladies to bring you our BEST spring cleaning and organizational tips – see the list at the bottom of this post, as well as a giveaway!
While cleaning is definitely still a chore, what you use to clean makes a big difference. Since starting to use essential oils over a year ago now, one of my favorite uses has been in cleaning, so why not share those tips with you? Below you’ll find my favorite tips for using essential oils in your spring cleaning routines, plus a few extras!
A few things to keep in mind before I start:
- I only use and recommend Young Living essential oils, so that’s what I’ll be discussing here. Do your own research when it comes to the oils you use – I’m happy to answer any questions about Young Living!
- Any cleaner that uses a citrus oil should be stored in glass or stainless steel. Citrus oils clean out toxins, and can actually eat through plastic containers!
Now, my favorite uses!
- All-purpose cleaner – combine 3 parts water, 1 part white vinegar, 1 tsp lemon juice, and 5-7 drops Thieves or Lemon essential oil.
- Carpet Refresher – Fill a mason jar with baking soda. Add 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oil (I love Purification for this) and shake to combine. Sprinkle over your carpet, let sit for about 20 minutes, then vacuum it up!
- Goo-gone – Lemon oil is an amazing all-natural goo gone!
- Homemade soft scrub – Combine 3/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 liquid castile soap, 1 Tbsp distilled water, 8 drops Lemon essential oil, and 5 drops of Lime essential oil. Use as needed and store away from sunlight.
- Thieves spray – Thieves is one of my favorite oils for cleaning, and I spray this stuff on everything from grocery carts to restaurant tables to keep the ickies away! In a 2 oz glass bottle, add 10 drops of Thieves, a pinch of salt, and fill with distilled water. Shake to combine!
- Homemade laundry detergent – I use Molly’s recipe and it’s the best! Cloth diaper safe too!
- Foaming hand soap – Fill empty foaming hand dispenser 3/4 full with water. Add 2 tbsp Castile soap, 2 tsp vegetable glycerine, and 10 drops of desired Essential Oil – lavender is a great one to use!
- Bug Away spray – Add 10 drops Thieves, 10 drops Purification, and 10 drops Peppermint to a spray bottle. Add a pinch of salt and fill with water, then shake to combine. Purification has citronella in it, and ants hate peppermint!
- Seasonal blend – Lemon, Lavender, and Peppermint is the combination I turn to in early spring to keep my eyes and nose clear.
- No more dryer sheets – use wool dryer balls instead! Add a few drops of your favorite oil to your dryer ball for natural scent and no chemicals.
In addition to all of these, I love Young Living’s Thieves Cleaner and use it all over my house – as an all-purpose cleaner, on glass, in the bathroom, in my carpet cleaner, and more. It’s a super-concentrated all-purpose cleaner that I use everywhere!
Ready for more Spring Cleaning and Organization Tips? Hope around to the ladies below and get your clean on, then enter the giveaway for Mrs. Meyer’s cleaning products!
Laureen @ Chateau Deveau – Playroom & Toy Storage
What are your favorite cleaning tips with essential oils? I’d love to hear yours!