It’s true what they say, that babyhood goes by so fast. Ella has just gotten more and more fun as time has gone on, and is just the happiest little baby. It’s already time for her four-month update!
Ella at four months:
We have a doctor’s appointment today, so I’ll fill this in once we go!14 pounds!
We have a doctor’s appointment today, so I’ll fill this in once we go!26.25 inches!
- Eyes are still blue and hair is still brown, but definitely lighter brown than when she was born.
- She’s wearing 3-6 month and 6-month clothes, although the sleepers are already getting snug. She’s a tall girl and I know I’ll be pulling out the 9-month sleepers before I know it. Her tiny feet are still in her size 0 moccasins, but the size 1s almost fit.
- She still gets discharge from her eyes, but it has slowly gotten better. I’m hopeful these clogged ducts will resolve themselves, but it’s a wait and see thing.
- Ella still nurses like a champ, and is slowly getting more efficient. Right now she nurses 2-3 times during the workweek (morning and 1-2 and night) and gets 3-4 bottles at daycare. On the weekends she nurses on demand, anywhere from 6-7 times.
- She keeps catching colds. I just wish they would go away already!
- Ella is, for the most part, a champion sleeper. She goes down at about 7:30 to 8:00 every night and usually sleeps through the night until about 5:30 or 6. If she gets up, it’s usually just once. Of course, she does have her rough nights (like this past Sunday when she got up at 1:30, 3:30, and 4:30), but she’s mostly got it down. I’m hoping we can avoid the 4-month sleep regression, but I’m not expecting to get off that easy. We’ll see.
- She is just the happiest baby. She giggles easily and makes noises all the time – daycare told me she “talks” all day long. She loves to watch big sister and stares at her when she gets close. She still isn’t rolling but is close!
- We’re completely in cloth diapers now and I’m so glad. While I don’t love the extra laundry, it’s so worth it to me for the cost savings alone!
- Since starting daycare, she doesn’t love the car seat as much as she used to since she’s in it so much more, but she’s really handled the transition well. She almost always falls asleep in the car on the way there, but it’s hit or miss on the way home. She has started to suck her thumb on the way home, and I almost want to encourage it just because it keeps her happy!
- She is still such a Momma’s girl. When we’re together, her eyes follow me everywhere.
- Nicknames: Miss Ella, Ellabear, Ellabella, Miss Thing
Life with Two:
Abbie is LOVING having Ella at daycare with her, just as we expected she would. Daycare has said she’s been a great helper, and Abbie gives me a report on her and Ella’s day when I pick them up. Abbie is always trying to be near her sister and cuddle her. We had one incident where Abbie pushed Ella, but it was short-lived and just a cry for attention from Abbie.
We try to give Abbie her own time with us when we can squeeze it in. Even little things like watching a movie together while Ella naps, a quick trip to the grocery store, or going to the playground make such a difference in her attitude.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom, and maternity leave proves it to me every time. I am so thankful to be back at work! It was hard to leave Ella on that first day, but since then it’s been a smooth transition. We’re on a routine now, and our family runs so much better that way. I have a bit of myself back now that I’m wanted for my brain and not just my boobs! Pumping at work is going pretty well so far, and I’m hopeful that will continue. Time will tell. Oh, and I’m losing weight again since I went back, so pretty happy on that front too. I’ve got about 7 pounds of pregnancy weight left, and after that I’ll be tackling the 45 pounds I was trying to lose prepregnancy. All in all, a smooth transition back to work and I’m feeling good.
That’s four months with our little Ella – I can’t wait to see what the next month brings!