This post is sponsored by Parent’s Choice at Walmart, but all opinions are my own.
I have been a mom for over 5 years now, but I remember those early days all too well. As a new parent, you’re constantly asked how you’re doing and how the baby is doing, and most importantly of all – how you all are sleeping. It’s one of the first things people want to know, and I completely understand why.
I’m one of those people that doesn’t function well without sleep, so getting my kids to sleep well was a priority for me from day one. Once my girls started going longer stretches at night, I quickly realized that I didn’t want to be changing their diaper in the middle of the night if I could help it. In my experience, nothing wakes up a baby faster than a diaper change.
But the real question is – how do you get through 10+ hours without a diaper change? Here’s what works for us – and how we get through overnight diapering.
- Limit liquids before bed. This mostly applies to toddlers, but I make sure not to give too much liquid within an hour of bedtime. Ella still has milk before bed, but I’m slowly decreasing the amount. Less liquid before bed means less for her to fill her diaper with overnight!
- Make sure you wipe baby’s bottom really well. No one wants something irritating their bottoms while they’re sleeping, and babies are no exception. We’ve been using Parent’s Choice wipes (available at Walmart) to make sure we get Ella really clean, and I love them. I think I’ve bought every single variety! The Cotton Soft wipes are my favorite, but I love the Fragrance Free as well – great for little bottoms. The quality has been right up there with the major brands I’ve purchased, and maybe even better! As a veteran mom, I know you don’t need to spend a fortune for a good quality wipe.
- Use diaper cream before bed. Being in the same diaper overnight can cause some irritation if you don’t prepare baby’s skin, so I always make sure to use a thick coat of diaper cream before bed. This keeps their skin protected and rash-free!
- Have the diaper change be the last thing you do before bed, if possible. The closer to bedtime you can do it, the better.
- Choose the right diapers. We have tried them all, but for overnight diapering – you definitely need an OVERNIGHT diaper. We’ve been using Parent’s Choice diapers (along with the aforementioned wipes) for overnight for a while now, and I love them. They are great quality, a great price, and last all night long. So many new moms think they need to always buy a major brand, but Parent’s Choice has performed just as well! I love that I can get the best quality at a fraction of the price.
- Speaking of those diapers, consider buying them 1-2 sizes up. Ella is at the bottom of the weight range for her size 4s, so I don’t currently do this, but once she gets to the middle of it I’ll definitely be moving to 5s! For some reason going up a size in the overnights makes a big difference in their capacity and it really works!
Make sure you grab your Parent’s Choice products at Walmart and let me know what your tips are! What do you do about overnight diapering? Any tips I’ve missed?