As a working mom, things are busy around here, and preparation is key. In the mornings we have to get our entire family ready and out the door in time to get to daycare dropoff, then work on time. In the evenings, we do the whole thing in reverse and it’s challenging to say the least.
There are certain things I do though to make our lives easier, and thought it was time to share… so here are my top tips for working moms – my working mom hacks, if you will.
- Shower at night. The moment I started doing this, it made a huge difference for us – so much less time in the morning! Chris still showers in the morning, but this still makes a big difference.
- Meal plan and prep over the weekend. This is a necessity in my house. Every Saturday, I plan all our dinners for the following week before heading to the grocery store. On either Saturday or Sunday, I take time to chop veggies and do as much preparation as I can for our lunches and dinners.
- Lay out clothes for the next day. This makes it so easy to just grab and go in the morning – you can even get as detailed as what accessories you’re going to wear.
- Have easy breakfasts ready to go. This can be a yogurt and banana, premade breakfast sandwiches, a protein shake – just make sure it’s easy to grab and go or make quickly.
- Early bedtime. Self-explanatory – you’re more likely to listen to that alarm if you’ve gotten enough rest!
- Cleaning service. This is something we don’t do yet, but I’d love to. Outsource what you can – it makes a difference.
- One load of laundry per day, every day. Growing up, my family did laundry every Sunday, but I find that doing one load every day generally works better for us – that way it’s just a daily task and I don’t get overwhelmed.
- Use the timer on your coffee maker or get coffee at work. If you drink it at home, set it up the night before so it’s ready to go and can brew at the same time your alarm goes off! I actually drink the coffee at work (it’s free!) and just bring my own creamer. Saves time and I get to savor my coffee at my desk when I get there.
- Use your lunch break for exercise or running errands. This saves SO much time in the evenings and weekends since these things are already done!
- Use online shopping for everything you can. Clothes? Check. Household necessities? Check. Groceries? Why not? Anything you can order online and have delivered is one less trip you have to make. Take advantage!
- Keep snacks in the car for the commute. I keep a stash of shelf-stable snacks in the car at all times – granola bars, peanut butter crackers, almonds, water – things that we can grab for ourselves or Abbie if we’re ravenous on the commute – that stash has saved us more than once!
- Let things go. You aren’t always going to be able to do it all, and sometimes you just have to let it go. It all works out in the end, and putting more pressure on yourself doesn’t solve anything.
[bctt tweet=”Working Mom? Check out this list of life hacks to make your life easier! #workingmom #motherhood”]
Those are my working mom life hacks – any you’d add to my list?