As a working mom, things are busy around here, and preparation is key. In the mornings we have to get our entire family ready and out the door in time to get to daycare dropoff, then work on time. In the evenings, we do the whole thing in reverse and it’s challenging to say the least.
There are certain things I do though to make our lives easier, and thought it was time to share… so here are my top tips for working moms – my working mom hacks, if you will.
- Shower at night. The moment I started doing this, it made a huge difference for us – so much less time in the morning! Chris still showers in the morning, but this still makes a big difference.
- Meal plan and prep over the weekend. This is a necessity in my house. Every Saturday, I plan all our dinners for the following week before heading to the grocery store. On either Saturday or Sunday, I take time to chop veggies and do as much preparation as I can for our lunches and dinners.
- Lay out clothes for the next day. This makes it so easy to just grab and go in the morning – you can even get as detailed as what accessories you’re going to wear.
- Have easy breakfasts ready to go. This can be a yogurt and banana, premade breakfast sandwiches, a protein shake – just make sure it’s easy to grab and go or make quickly.
- Early bedtime. Self-explanatory – you’re more likely to listen to that alarm if you’ve gotten enough rest!
- Cleaning service. This is something we don’t do yet, but I’d love to. Outsource what you can – it makes a difference.
- One load of laundry per day, every day. Growing up, my family did laundry every Sunday, but I find that doing one load every day generally works better for us – that way it’s just a daily task and I don’t get overwhelmed.
- Use the timer on your coffee maker or get coffee at work. If you drink it at home, set it up the night before so it’s ready to go and can brew at the same time your alarm goes off! I actually drink the coffee at work (it’s free!) and just bring my own creamer. Saves time and I get to savor my coffee at my desk when I get there.
- Use your lunch break for exercise or running errands. This saves SO much time in the evenings and weekends since these things are already done!
- Use online shopping for everything you can. Clothes? Check. Household necessities? Check. Groceries? Why not? Anything you can order online and have delivered is one less trip you have to make. Take advantage!
- Keep snacks in the car for the commute. I keep a stash of shelf-stable snacks in the car at all times – granola bars, peanut butter crackers, almonds, water – things that we can grab for ourselves or Abbie if we’re ravenous on the commute – that stash has saved us more than once!
- Let things go. You aren’t always going to be able to do it all, and sometimes you just have to let it go. It all works out in the end, and putting more pressure on yourself doesn’t solve anything.
[bctt tweet=”Working Mom? Check out this list of life hacks to make your life easier! #workingmom #motherhood”]
Those are my working mom life hacks – any you’d add to my list?
I just started doing my showers the night before and it makes a huge difference. I agree, as much as you can outsource or do online is a must. Also, lunch breaks and my most productive time of the day as well 🙂
Gotta find the time where you can!
I’m not even a mom and these life hacks sound like they would make even my life easier! Thanks for the tips. 🙂
XO – Danielle
Definitely! I get so much more done when I utilize the small pockets of time!
Yes! These are all great tips! Any prep work that you can do before the crazy morning time makes a big difference!
If I don’t prep, our mornings are just DISASTROUS!
I’m all about the meal planning! Anything to make life easier. 🙂 My problem is being too lazy to chop everything when I bring groceries home, so I need to start doing that.
Haha, sometimes I fail at that too. One step at a time…
Love this and will share on my facebook page later today. I wear flip flops during daycare drop off and pick up— it beats clanking around in heels getting the kids set up in their classes. I keep the heels in my car. Cheers!
When I used the wear heels, I did the same thing! Now I stick to flats so that part’s easier!
I love that you’ve shared your fabulous working-mom-life hacks! A house cleaner is one tip that I’ve used for many years (she comes every other week) and it’s so incredibly helpful. I do a load of laundry every other day, and then a few more loads on weekends. Meal prepping on weekends is still something I really need to work on. Just yesterday I made two separate trips to the grocery store for one meal plus dessert which is completely ridiculous! Especially since I was just at the local market and at Costco on Sunday. I tend to meal plan on a whim day by day. This is one area of my life where I definitely need to get more organized.
Oh gosh, yes! You need to meal plan – it makes such a big difference!
Such great tips!!! Showering at night and picking out my clothes the night before has definitely helped me in the morning!!
liz @ j for joiner
So much less time, and my hair is healthier since I’m not blow-drying – bonus!
What a great list!! I Have started laying out outfits for the entire week, on Sunday, and it’s SO HELPFUL! I cannot, for the life of me, shower at night though. I’m so stinking tired after I put the kids to bed, that I crash. I kind of like waking up at 5, having coffee and showering. It wakes me up. I DO make coffee the night before and it’s life changing. I will have to incorporate a few more of these!
Hope they help! I’m not always the best at planning outfits and need to be better!
Great advice! I’m going to implement car snack idea.
I know doing morning prep at night would be a life saver but how do you have the energy after dinner and bedtime?… I need to work on that.
My working mom life hack was stuffing the pocket diapers that were headed to daycare on my drive to work. every stoplight, I’d stuff. This may have stemmed from severe procrastinating…
I actually find if I just do it all right away, it isn’t so bad. I hear you on the diaper stuffing – I sometimes have to do a few in the morning because they were washed the night before!
Do y’all get Val-Paks or other coupons in the mail? Ours almost always have a first-time customer deal for cleaning services!
We do, but I usually just toss them….good idea!