I’ve been meaning to share this body butter recipe for ages. I’ve gotten to the point that I make a lot of my own personal care products, and this is a favorite of mine. It’s completely customizable, so moisturizing, and easy to make. Enjoy!
DIY Body Butter
- 3.5 oz shea butter (I get mine here)
- 3 oz coconut oil (I get mine in big jars from Costco, but you can find it here)
- .5 oz liquid carrier oil – jojoba, sweet almond or fractionated coconut oil all work well. You just want it to be liquid at room temperature (Find it here, here, or here)
- 10-15 drops Essential oils of your choice (See my favorite combinations below! I get my essential oils here)
- In a double boiler (or a glass bowl set over simmering water – just don’t let the water touch the bottom of the bowl!), melt the shea butter, coconut oil, and liquid carrier oil of your choice.
- When they’re all melted, remove them from heat and add your choice of essential oils.
- Let the mixture cool until it’s semi-solid. I like to put mine in the fridge for about half an hour.
- Once it’s semi-solid, beat with your mixer until light and fluffy. Put in your favorite container (I like these from the container store) and that’s it!
Now for my favorite combinations:
For Babies and Kids (I use this on Abbie all the time and she actually likes to do it herself!):
Lavender, Gentle Baby, Tea Tree, and Cedarwood
For Mom (smells really floral and luxurious!):
Ylang Ylang, Abundance, Geranium, and Lavender
Lavender (I feel like I put this in everything!), Tea Tree, and Frankincense
I love doing Joy and Lavender. You can also add citrus oils, but use caution and don’t apply it anyplace that will see direct sunlight for 12 hours. Citrus oils are photosensitive and you don’t want sunlight hitting them on your skin.
Peace & Calming or Peace & Calming II (which I actually prefer to the original), Stress Away, and Lavender
“Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) has a sweet, floral aroma that is soothing and refreshing. Lavender’s aroma is great for relaxing and winding down before bedtime; add to bath or diffuse to create a calming and comforting environment. Lavender essential oil may compliment your favorite shampoos, lotions and skin care products. Because it is the most versatile of all essential oils, no home should be without it.” (source)
Interested in learning more about Essential Oils? Feel free to send me an email or join my exclusive Facebook group here!
This looks AWESOME! I need to make some soon. Thanks for sharing!