Well, three days into 2018 and I already feel behind. Typical.
In all seriousness though, I am so happy to say goodbye to 2017 and hello to 2018. While 2017 wasn’t a crazy year for me by any means, the end of it stressed me out – job switch, throwing a last-minute first birthday for Ella, Abbie’s fifth birthday (andI still haven’t written her birthday post), and the holidays. Let’s just say I am so incredibly thankful for the new mindset a switch of the calendar brings, and I’m so ready to fill this brand new year with my dreams and plans.
Speaking of dreams and plans, this is usually the time that I pick a word of the year. The thing is, I usually forget about that word about 1-2 months in. It hasn’t been an effective strategy for me in the past for whatever reason, so I won’t be thinking of my goals that way.
When I look at the past few years, they have been primarily focused on the surroundings of my life. From getting married and having two children to buying a house and being there for my family and friends as they needed me, I have been focused on others for the past few years.
Focusing so much of your time on others leaves little time to focus on yourself. So this year, I’m doing just that.
This year, I’m focusing on myself – what I want, what I need, and who I want to be.
- I want to be content and happy with my life.
- I want to nurture my marriage and spend more quality time with my husband.
- I want quality time with my family.
- I want fulfillment and support in my friendships.
- I want a healthy body and more importantly, a healthy relationship with my body.
- I want my girls to know and see a happy mom who shows them the importance of taking care of yourself.
- I want to grow in my new career and commit myself to doing all I can while I’m there.
- I want to nurture my creative side.
- I want to read a book every month.
- I want to say yes to new experiences.
- I want to have the strength to say no to the things I have no interest in.
- I want a home that is clear of clutter where everything has a place – a home I can be proud to show off.
- I want to grow this space and build a community, however large or small it will be.
As with all things, I’m a work in progress, and I completely expect that to still be the case at this time next year – but hopefully, I’ll end up just a little happier, a little more fulfilled, and with a clear understanding of where I want my life to go – in every aspect.
Here’s to 2018: the year I rediscover me.