Every so often, my company runs a health competition or initiative. In the past, it’s been things like Biggest Loser competitions or steps competitions. This year, they put out a list of small changes you can do daily, weekly, and monthly for a healthier lifestyle. Our competition runs for a month, and if you get enough points, you get a prize at the end. Nothing motivates me like prizes, even if they’re small ones.
In fact, I love the idea of this list so much, I decided to share it with you. So many of them are small things, but they can add up to a big difference in health and weight loss. I did add a few extra of my own in too! I’ve also let you know what I’m concentrating on – items in bold are things I already do on a regular basis, and items in italics are ones I see as reasonable and ones making an effort to do during this challenge!
- Eat fruit for your dessert today.
- Try brown rice or whole wheat pasta today.
- Try a new fruit or vegetable today.
- Walk to a co-worker’s desk instead of emailing or calling today.
- Do 50 sit ups today.
- Try sitting on a balance ball instead of a chair.
- Do not eat any junk food today.
- Add at least 1,000 steps to your daily routine today.
- Split an entrée with someone today.
- Invite a friend to take a walk with you today.
- Bring a healthy lunch to work today.
- Get up and move while talking on the phone today.
- Dance to a favorite song today.
- Eat 9 servings of fruits/vegetables today.
- Take a brisk 15 minute walk today.
- Walk/run one mile today.
- Read an article on wellness/health today.
- Ask for salad dressing “on the side” today.
- Do not eat anything while watching TV today.
- Take the long way to the bathroom.
- Have your blood pressure checked today.
- Limit caffeine to 1 serving today.
- Sleep at least 8 hours today.
- Order a side of fruit or salad instead of fries today.
- Ask that the bread or chip basket be removed from the table when eating out today.
- Eat at least 25 grams of fiber today.
- “Veg up” your sandwich today. (lettuce, tomato, red onions, red peppers, avocado, etc.)
- Write down 3 positive things about yourself today.
- Smile and laugh often today.
- Stretch for five minutes today.
- Use skim or soy milk today.
- Make a long term fitness goal and share it with someone
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator every day this week.
- At dinner, make sure half your plate is vegetables every day this week.
- Don’t eat anything after 7 p.m. any day this week.
- Do not add any sugar any day this week.
- Drink a glass or water before each meal every day this week.
- Eat only when you are sitting down this week.
- Do not drink any soda this week. (includes diet soda)
- Keep a log of what you eat every day this week.
- Park your car further away from your destination every day this week.
- Do squats while you brush your teeth every day this week.
- Do not use the salt shaker before tasting your food any day this week.
- Do 30 lunges every day this week.
- Do not eat trans fats any day this week.
- Eat wheat or whole grain bread instead of white bread this week.
- Eat your meals on a smaller plate every day this week.
- Try to touch your toes at least 15 times every day this month.
- Do jumping jacks for one minute every day this month.
- Drink 5 glasses of water every day this month.
- Do 5 shoulder rolls twice to release tension in your neck and shoulders every day this month.
- Take a multi-vitamin every day this month.
- Exercise during the commercials of your favorite TV show every day this month. (push-ups, sits ups, etc.)
- Pass on the vending machine every day this month.
Anything you’d add to my list?