The holidays always come with so many fun traditions, and in my house growing up, one of them was always lots of cookies. I touched on it in this post, but every year my family spent time baking different kinds of cookies. Two of them always stood out to me, so I’m sharing the first of them today.
One reason we love these cookies? They’re easy! They’re a simple drop cookie, but the bright pops of maraschino cherries give them some fun color. I usually just use the red ones, but one year I found green ones too and my cookies were extra-Christmas-y (is that a word? I’m making it one). These cookies grace our holiday cookie plate every year (and a few other times a year too), so I hope you enjoy them!
- 1/2 c. soft butter or margarine
- 1 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/3 c. chopped maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream together butter and sugar, then beat in egg and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Blend into wet ingredients.
- Stir in walnuts and cherries.
- Drop cookies by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove while warm from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
- Store in airtight containers.