I mentioned this recipe a few weeks ago as one of our favorite meals, and thought it was time to share the recipe! This is a pretty easy one. I’ve adapted from the original recipe – the original calls for ground red pepper, but we are not ones for spicy food, so I subbed in italian seasoning. I also added more onion and some garlic, plus I usually add whatever veggies I have around. This week it was zucchini!
Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce
(Adapted from Cooking Light’s Dinner’s Ready)
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jar water-packed roasted red peppers, chopped (12-16 oz – I’ve used both and they both turn out)
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 large zucchini, julienned
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 T tomato paste
- 2 tsp italian seasoning, or more to taste
- 1 pound pasta (I usually use farfalle)
- Shredded parmesan, to taste
- Fresh basil, sliced thin (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onion and cook for a few minutes until soft (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add red peppers and cook until heated through, about 2-5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook until the liquid evaporates (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer the red pepper mixture into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Add the zucchini to the pan and cook until soft, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the red pepper puree back to the pan. Mix the half and half and tomato paste together, then add to the red pepper puree and warm through.
- Add the zucchini and pasta to the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Serve in bowls – the serving size is about 1 cup. Top with parmesan and basil.
Hope you all enjoy! Don’t forget to give some to the little ones in your life, either!