Chris and I are always looking for new recipes and things to try. Now that we’re able to use the grill again, we have a whole new slew of options…and it means that Chris gets to share some of the cooking responsibilities! This is actually our second attempt at shrimp tacos – we tried a different recipe on our anniversary back in february, but it wasn’t a winner. In fact, I thought it was pretty weird. Anyway, we found this recipe over at Real Simple and it’s a winner! Definitely delicious, easy, and pretty healthy.
Recipe originally from Real Simple – I changed it slightly to make it healthier and with what I had on hand.
1/2 cup light sour cream
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
3 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 limes, cut into quarters
8 6-inch corn tortillas
2 to 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
bottled green tomatillo salsa
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, and cumin. Resist the urge to dip your finger in and just eat it. Set aside.
- Skewer the shrimp – we did about 4-5 on each skewer. We used wood skewers, so I made sure to soak them in water for a while beforehand…at least 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and garlic, then brush the shrimp with the garlic butter.
- Place the shrimp on grill with the limes. Cook until the shrimp are opaque and the limed have lovely grill marks. The recipe said about 4 minutes per side, but ours were done much faster than that.
- Remove from grill. Lightly salt the shrimp (P.S. We totally forgot the salt and it was fine, so skip the salt if you’re watching your sodium intake!)
- Grill the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side, then place inside a paper bag to keep warm. (Grilling these was a great addition to the recipe!)
- Pull the shrimp off the skewers and divide evenly among the tortillas – we had about 4 in each one. Top with the cabbage, sour cream sauce, tomatillo salsa, and a squeeze of grilled lime.
We served them with some (boxed) spanish rice. It was delicious, and plus I know have some yummy tomatillo salsa on hand…why did I not discover this stuff earlier? It’s delicious! Hope you enjoy the recipe!