As of Saturday, Summer is officially here (as if it wasn’t already by the temperatures). Summer and I have always had a strained relationship. When I was a kid, summer wasn’t fun for me – my family never really went on vacations, and there was no pool nearby that we belonged to. Plus, I was a bit of a nerd – I actually really enjoyed school and missed it during the summer. I know, I know. Lame. Honestly, I usually spent most of the summer reading. Boring, I know. Now that I’m older, summer is a bit better for me, and there are things about it that I appreciate. There are also things I still hate.
Why I LOVE Summer:
- Being outside early in the morning or after dark is perfect.
- Pool time – does that really need an explanation?
- No coats and scarves to worry about
- Taking kids to the playground is easy, fun, and wears them out!
- It stays light out longer (Although this would be a con if Abbie’s room didn’t have blackout curtains!)
- Summer clothes are so much easier to dress in. Dresses? Yes Please!
- Flip Flops are the best footwear ever invented.
- Everyone seems to have so much more free time.
- Summer Concerts are pretty amazing.
- Way more fruits and veggies are in season, making it easier to eat healthy
- Iced coffee is delicious.
- Independence Day!
- Water parks are pretty amazing places.
- Kids are out of school, so the traffic is better.
- Summer Festivals have all kinds of cool things to do and discover.
Why I HATE Summer:
- Sunburns are the worst, and I somehow get burned EVERY year.
- Bugs are out in full force. I’ve been known to have my entire leg covered in bug bites.
- The humidity in Virginia is the worst. Living next to an ocean will do that for you.
- It often gets in the 90s and 100s during the summer in Virginia – combined with the humidity, it’s miserable.
- I kind of hate sweating.
- Your car seats nearly burn your legs as you get in the car.
- Shaving your legs all the time is a pain.
- Being outside in the middle of the afternoon is WAY too hot, unless you’re in the pool
- Air conditioning has to run all the time…it’s a necessary evil.
- There’s no football on. To be fair, I have this problem with Spring too…
- It seems odd to drink hot coffee.
- Fireworks in our neighborhood wake Abbie up. Not cool.
- Kids are out of school, so instead they’re playing in the middle of the street.
Anything you’d add to my lists?
I always loved summer because it gave me more time to read. We would get our parents to take us to the library where we stocked up on Sweet Valley High books and free AC.
I was more of a Babysitter’s Club girl…but yes, all of the above!
Why do I hate summer? Two words: Boob sweat. That is all. 🙂
HAHAHAHA. That’s really all I can say. And how did I leave that out?!?
I too LOVE reading in the summer as a kid! I have a love hate/relationship with summer… I’m always ready for the warm weather after winter but then it just get sooooo HOT and then I’m over it. I wish it was just spring year round! 🙂
Exactly! Except replace spring with fall for me…I need football season!
Oh, the mosquitoes are killer right now! I love summer, but I have a hard time working through the summer. I just want summer break like we used to get! I guess that’s what maternity leave is for, right? 🙂
Hahaha…well, not all of us have good timing with our pregnancies like you…
Ugh, the kids playing in the street. Though we have that during the school year, too. Ugh. Summer would be a lot more fun if I didn’t have to work and wear business casual 😉
So true. And I guess we have kids playing in the street during the year too, but it just seems like more of them during summer!
Bahahaha, I love both lists so much!!! I live in South Texas so I feel ya on the heat and humidity 😛
Ugh. Humidity is my enemy.
Orrrrr if you live in Seattle you don’t have air conditioning and you are sweating all day every day. lol
I still can’t understand how you live without it…it’s kind of a given here. I would be miserable without it!