As of Saturday, Summer is officially here (as if it wasn’t already by the temperatures). Summer and I have always had a strained relationship. When I was a kid, summer wasn’t fun for me – my family never really went on vacations, and there was no pool nearby that we belonged to. Plus, I was a bit of a nerd – I actually really enjoyed school and missed it during the summer. I know, I know. Lame. Honestly, I usually spent most of the summer reading. Boring, I know. Now that I’m older, summer is a bit better for me, and there are things about it that I appreciate. There are also things I still hate.
Why I LOVE Summer:
- Being outside early in the morning or after dark is perfect.
- Pool time – does that really need an explanation?
- No coats and scarves to worry about
- Taking kids to the playground is easy, fun, and wears them out!
- It stays light out longer (Although this would be a con if Abbie’s room didn’t have blackout curtains!)
- Summer clothes are so much easier to dress in. Dresses? Yes Please!
- Flip Flops are the best footwear ever invented.
- Everyone seems to have so much more free time.
- Summer Concerts are pretty amazing.
- Way more fruits and veggies are in season, making it easier to eat healthy
- Iced coffee is delicious.
- Independence Day!
- Water parks are pretty amazing places.
- Kids are out of school, so the traffic is better.
- Summer Festivals have all kinds of cool things to do and discover.
Why I HATE Summer:
- Sunburns are the worst, and I somehow get burned EVERY year.
- Bugs are out in full force. I’ve been known to have my entire leg covered in bug bites.
- The humidity in Virginia is the worst. Living next to an ocean will do that for you.
- It often gets in the 90s and 100s during the summer in Virginia – combined with the humidity, it’s miserable.
- I kind of hate sweating.
- Your car seats nearly burn your legs as you get in the car.
- Shaving your legs all the time is a pain.
- Being outside in the middle of the afternoon is WAY too hot, unless you’re in the pool
- Air conditioning has to run all the time…it’s a necessary evil.
- There’s no football on. To be fair, I have this problem with Spring too…
- It seems odd to drink hot coffee.
- Fireworks in our neighborhood wake Abbie up. Not cool.
- Kids are out of school, so instead they’re playing in the middle of the street.
Anything you’d add to my lists?