Good morning, June 30th! How did you get here so fast?
Is it just me, or did this month speed by? It’s crazy that one month of summer is already gone, and we’re inching closer and closer to the end of the year. Sometimes I think time actually does speed up when you have kids…it’s just impossible for it not to. Anyway, we had an easygoing weekend around here for the first time in a long time. It was nice to not have to do anything or go anywhere for once. I’m in kind of a random mood this morning, so here’s what’s going on in my mind today:
- I got a haircut on Saturday and went in having zero idea what I wanted. I went to a new stylist after reading some reviews on yelp, and I’m really happy with the results. I still look like me, but my hair actually has some shape to it for once. I haven’t had a good experience like that in a long time, and I’ll definitely be back to see her.
- I got a pedicure yesterday, and of course I dinged my big toe a little. It’s one of those things that no one else will notice…but I will. Annoying.
- We have ZERO plans for 4th of July, and I’m pretty excited about that. Plus I only have a 2.5 day work week this week!
- I’m really looking forward to my long weekend. I don’t generally take PTO, so it’s like a free staycation for me! I’m hoping to get a good amount of writing in – I have lots of blog posts floating around in my head, in my drafts, in my google drive…that all need to be worked on. Good stuff coming!
- I am really hoping the fireworks don’t keep Abbie awake on Friday night…people in our neighborhood like to set them off and last year it was a nightmare trying to keep her asleep. Maybe I’ll turn up the white noise machine?
- I did a post on being a working mom over on Jessica’s blog…if you didn’t see it, you should check that out here.
- Remember this post about getting Abbie off of bottles? Yeah… I got frustrated and stopped trying. We saw the pediatrician for Abbie’s 18 month checkup on Friday, and she said the bottles have to go…cold turkey. I’m planning on doing it this weekend on my days off, but since she currently won’t drink milk out of anything but a bottle, I’m nervous. I’m going to have to buy like 10 different cups to see if she’ll use any of them. I hate forcing Abbie into things, but this weekend is really the only time I’ll be home with her for a longer period of time, so I feel like it has to be now. I can’t make daycare do it for me – it’s just not fair. Any cup recommendations? The pedi said straws are better than sippys, and I’m looking to order a bunch from Amazon prime today so they get here in time.
How was your weekend? Do you have any cup recommendations for me?
When we transitioned my son from a bottle to a cup, we used the Playtex straw trainer cup. http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Training-Straw-Ounce-Colors/dp/B00G6EE6NG/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1404138244&sr=1-3#productDetails
I found it at Target but they also have them on Amazon. We used a previous version of it but I imagine it is the same. The nice thing is that if you squeeze the cup, liquid will push up the straw and will help Abbie realize that is how it comes out of the cup. Once my son got the hang of it, we switched to other straw cups. Good luck!
Oh, good luck with the bottle/cup transition! We’ve been using the Nuby cups with straws. For the most part, they don’t leak, and they’re easy to clean. http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-2-Pack-No-Spill-Flexi-Colors/dp/B003N49ML8 You can get them at Target, too.
I am really interested in the bottle to cup transition. The doctor told us at the last appointment (15 month) to have her off by 18 months. So the next three months are “operation big girl” at our house. Please share any tips or tricks that seem to work.
We love our lifefactory straw cups. They are pricey, but you can really likely get by with 2. We try to only use glass or stainless steel, and those are by FAR my favorite.
I have to do the bottle to cup for milk before baby #2 comes and everyone says cold turkey is the best way to go- even my doctor. They said if they want the milk enough they will eventually drink out of the sippy cup. We do use sippy cups for water now. I love the munchkin brand cups- I swear by them. I’ve tried the Nuby but some how my son always does something to loosen the top or something to make it leak. We use these:
They also make an insulated cup too.
So, to all of you…I tried about 6 different cups and she wouldn’t drink milk out of ANY of them. Maybe daycare can get her to? Thanks for all the suggestions – I did use some of the ones you said!
We went through this with my son. We bought the cheap take and toss and he loved them. He was too impatient to figure out the straw while holding the new cup so we went with ones that were easy to drink out of. They don’t break the bank when lost either! http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Take-Toss-7-oz-Sippy-Cup-Set-of-6/4631188